Intelligence Official Says ISIS Likely To Attempt Attacks In US In 2016
An Intelligence official announced on Tuesday that ISIS is likely to attempt direct attacks in the U.S. in 2016 by sneaking fighters in with migrants.
In the “Worldwide Threat Assessment of the U.S. Intelligence Community” released today, Lieutenant General Vincent Steward announced that the terrorist group ISIS “will probably attempt to conduct additional attacks in Europe, and attempt to direct attacks on the U.S. homeland in 2016.”
Stewart is the director of the Defense Intelligence Agency who released the threat assessment along with their presentation of it to Congress on Tuesday.
James Clapper, Director of National Intelligence, was present at the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing and stated that members of ISIS were active in about 40 countries worldwide and that they are America’s biggest terrorist threat as of now. Stewart claimed that the group had already expanded their influence to other Middle East and African nations. As well as their targeting of Western countries, ISIS, Sunni Muslim extremists, are targeting the Shiite Muslim branch as well.
Most alarming of all is the statement that ISIS is infiltrating the refugees flooding into countries from Syria and Iraq. Clapper said that the group was “taking advantage of the torrent of migrants to insert operatives into that flow,” which only hurts the refugee crisis even more by building a lack of trust for the migrants. ISIS has reportedly taken over a passport facility in Syria so that they can make passports for their fighters.
The assessment also mentions that “approximately five dozen” ISIS-linked people were arrested in the U.S. in 2015.
While they are at large in dozens of countries, it is impossible to say where the terrorist group will strike next. The testimony also included the whereabouts of al-Qaeda, who disapproves of ISIS’ “indiscriminate tactics”, the Iran nuclear deal, the strengthening of Russian military forces, and North Korea’s nuclear and missile program.
This article (Intelligence Official Says ISIS Likely To Attempt Attacks In US In 2016) is free and open source. You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to the author and TrueActivist.com.