This is a developing story...
Out of control Russian spacecraft plunging back to Earth:
- Official reveals unmanned cargo craft has ‘started descending’
- Progress M-27M will fall to Earth in a matter of days, experts have said
- The ISS-bound spacecraft suffered a glitch after launching yesterday April 28, 2015.
- It is now spinning out of control with ‘nowhere to go’ except down
- The Progress is carrying about 2.5 tons of cargo, including fuel, equipment, oxygen and food, to the space station, which currently has a six-person crew from Russia, the United States and Italy
The spacecraft is 160 miles high and travelling at more than 16,000mph. That altitude is sufficiently below the space station to pose the crew no problems, but some satellites might need to take evasive manoeuvres.